Re: lexocographical

Subject: Re: lexocographical
From: "Starr, Mike" <Mike -dot- Starr -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 17:33:51 -0600

As many PC users might have noticed, when a list of files is sorted, a file
named MANUAL10.DOC would be sorted higher than MANUAL2.DOC. In other words,
if I had a directory of ten files with similar file names, they might sort
this way:

MANUAL1.DOC
MANUAL10.DOC
MANUAL2.DOC
MANUAL3.DOC
MANUAL4.DOC
MANUAL5.DOC
MANUAL6.DOC
MANUAL7.DOC
MANUAL8.DOC
MANUAL9.DOC

instead of the more intuitive:

MANUAL1.DOC
MANUAL2.DOC
MANUAL3.DOC
MANUAL4.DOC
MANUAL5.DOC
MANUAL6.DOC
MANUAL7.DOC
MANUAL8.DOC
MANUAL9.DOC
MANUAL10.DOC

If I wanted the computer to sort them in the more intuitive manner, I would
have to change the file names to:

MANUAL01.DOC
MANUAL02.DOC
MANUAL03.DOC
MANUAL04.DOC
MANUAL05.DOC
MANUAL06.DOC
MANUAL07.DOC
MANUAL08.DOC
MANUAL09.DOC
MANUAL10.DOC

Lexicographical sortation may differ from strict alphanumeric sortation by
having exception handling to accomodate this type of situation (that's only
a guess).
From: Mark Levinson
To: Multiple recipients of list TEC
Subject: lexocographical
Date: Wednesday, August 09, 1995 3:56PM

The word "lexicographical" is sometimes used as an alternative
to "alphabetical" when more than the alphabet is involved. For
example, when terms can begin with numerals.
Mark L. Levinson
mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il