Subject: Summary: Value of Writing Degree
From: HUNTER_W -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:53:14 -0600

Thank you for all your advice about the value of a writing degree. There
were good points both for and against:

Why I should finish the degree

1. Shows employers the ability to complete what I started.
2. Will not regret getting it but may regret NOT getting it.
3. Some employers, and especially HR people, require such credentials
when screening employees
4. In the future it may become more of a requirement for working
in the field.

Why I should not finish the degree

1. Experience and a good portfolio are more important.
2. I already have one degree.
3. Most tech writers dont have writing degrees anyway.

Well, I decided to finish the degree. I was convinced by the argument
about completing long term projects. After already having left a job,
I do not want any potential employers to perceive me as a "quitter."
Showing I am serious about my career change is worth the time and effort
of taking 8 more classes. Again, thanks for the valuable input.

Bill Hunter