Re[2]: He/She

Subject: Re[2]: He/She
From: Betsy Smith <betsys -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:14:40 -0500

I don't think I want to be "sex-neutral." Why is the sexual aspect of
your personality a negative?

Subject: Re: He/She
Author: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL> at SMTP
Date: 8/9/95 1:31 PM

John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM> wrote-->
So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a new
sex-neutral pronoun (including all the necessary cases) that everybody will
quickly embrace.
============
Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil wrote-->
Hmmm...
I have several suggestions:

Male Female Neutral1 Neutral2 Neutral3

he she ze [long e] ze [long e] te [long e]
him her zeh [short e] zin [short i] tey [long a]
his hers zes [short e] zis [short i] tes [short e]
=============
Janet Christian <janetc -at- AUSTIN -dot- APPLE -dot- COM> added-->
I was thinking about this during my morning commute and also came up with
the idea Beverly expressed as Neutral3. I like the "te" forms for a couple
of reasons -- pretty much the same ones Beverly expressed. They are
completely neutral while still evoking the mental connection of "they."
=============
I wonder if it would be important to maintain the pattern I
noticed while reading Janet's post:

He, him, his;
she, her, hers;
and even Neutral1&2,

all have the pattern of long vowel, short vowel, short vowel.
(Okay, "her" and "hers" aren't really short sounds, but the
pattern is still there.)
Perhaps an alternative to "tey" in Neutral3 could be "teh" with
a short e sound (like the "zeh" in Neutral1).

Bev (with nothing better to do right now)

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=