Re: Scott Adams fired

Subject: Re: Scott Adams fired
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 05:59:00 UTC

>> The 8/8 WSJ said he was fired . . .

>> Scott Adams was removed from his engineering job . . .

I suspect the correct term is "laid off." His company probably explained it
as a reduction in force or RIF.

The term "fired" implies some misdeed or lack of ability on the part of the
person being fired.

Since Technical Writers are subject to frequent layoffs, I think we should
be careful to make this distinction. I would hire someone who had been laid
off. I would be very careful about hiring someone who had been fired.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com