Re: Non-standard page sizes

Subject: Re: Non-standard page sizes
From: clousej -at- DSTM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:07:48 EST

> 1. Does a standard page-size for PC books exist? For example,
> 7 in. by 9 in. or 5 in. by 8 in?

I don't know of an standards, but we use 7 x 9 for most of our sofware
manuals. We use a laser printing service for the manuals that have small
runs - 150 to 1000 copies, and they can get two pages on a sheet using this
size. Our larger manual (750 pages) is done on an offset press, and is 7
3/8 x 9, but we are switching to 7 x 9 exclusively for the next version.

> 2. Should I define a new paper size definition to the print driver
> or should I set the page size by narrowing the WordPerfect margins?

We use Microsoft Word for Windows, so I don't know what WordPerfect can do,
but we have a page setup dialog box in Word that sets the document page
size and margins for the document itself.

> 3. The client will probably send the books out to a print shop
> for reproduction. Are there any print shop considerations? For
> in-house printing, we will use an 8.5 by 11 page size.

You will need to talk with your print shop representative to determine what is
the most efficient and cost effective format. We print our documents to a
Postscript file, and send the files to the print vendor via modem. They create a
proof the same day and send it back to us for approval. We either approve the
proof, or send additional files for another try.

By the way, if you are looking for a good print vendor, I can recommend one that
has done a great job for us.

We sometimes print our beta version manuals in-house in 8 1/2 x 11, and just
don't worry about the extra space. These are temporary manuals with a short
life, and the user doesn't expect anything fancy.

I hope that helps. If you have additional questions, let me know.

John Clouse
clousej -at- dstm -dot- com
Documentation Manager
Datastream Systems

Subject: Non-standard page sizes
Author: Kathleen_Alt_at_SRA-ROCKVILLE -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SRA -dot- COM at Internet
Date: 8/11/95 1:18 PM

Hello all:

Please accept my apologies in advance for any mistakes that I make. I
have been on the technical writer list for only one day. So, I don't
know if you have discussed page sizes recently.

My question is about standards for non-8.5 by 11 documents. My client
wants to use a PC-sized book for all their user's guides instead of an
8.5 by 11-sized book. They asked me to investigate and make
recommendations. The idea is to incorporate the new page size into the
automated templates and styles that I set up in WordPerfect for Windows
6.0/6.1.

Here are the my concerns:

1. Does a standard page-size for PC books exist? For example, 7 in.
by 9 in. or 5 in. by 8 in?

2. Should I define a new paper size definition to the print driver or
should I set the page size by narrowing the WordPerfect margins? The
problem with defining the paper size to the print driver is that the
new definition only applies to that individual print driver. I would
have to add that paper size definition to all print drivers. The
client has many print drivers. Nightmare situation! Is there
another alternative?

3. The client will probably send the books out to a print shop for
reproduction. Are there any print shop considerations? For in-house
printing, we will use an 8.5 by 11 page size. However, we will only
print on a portion of the page. Can the print shop use the 8.5 and 11
page and reproduce on the smaller PC-sized page? Do I have to do
anything special?

As you can tell, I am a real neophyte (to discussion lists and page
sizes. Again apologies.). Thanks in advance. It's tough being the
only writer on a contract!

Kathleen Alt
kathleen_alt -at- sra -dot- com
Rockville, Maryland