Re: Non-standard page sizes

Subject: Re: Non-standard page sizes
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 11:19:22 -0600

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Kathleen T. Alt wrote:

> Here are the my concerns:

> 1. Does a standard page-size for PC books exist? For example, 7 in.
> by 9 in. or 5 in. by 8 in?

Judging by the wide variety of page sizes I find among my own collection
of PC books, I'm not sure a standard does exist. However, most of them
seem to fall in at about 5.5" x 9.5" (give or take 1/4" in either
dimension.)

> 2. Should I define a new paper size definition to the print driver or
> should I set the page size by narrowing the WordPerfect margins? The
> problem with defining the paper size to the print driver is that the
> new definition only applies to that individual print driver. I would
> have to add that paper size definition to all print drivers. The
> client has many print drivers. Nightmare situation! Is there
> another alternative?

I would simply set up a page complete with the size and margins I wanted
and save it as the default template. If you can't save it as the default,
then you could at least open it under the new document command without
having to redesign the page each time. (It has been awhile since I last
used WP, so I don't remember exactly the steps to do this.)

> 3. The client will probably send the books out to a print shop for
> reproduction. Are there any print shop considerations? For in-house
> printing, we will use an 8.5 by 11 page size. However, we will only
> print on a portion of the page. Can the print shop use the 8.5 and 11
> page and reproduce on the smaller PC-sized page? Do I have to do
> anything special?

Call your print shop and ask them. I have yet to find one that won't
tell me exactly what I need to know--or that does things exactly like any
other. It is always best to talk to the people you will be working with.

And good luck. 8-)

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu