Re: PET PEEVE #3148

Subject: Re: PET PEEVE #3148
From: "Race, Paul D" <racepa -at- WHQPOS4B -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 07:56:57 -0600

>From: Debbie Molinaro

>I agree with you, but that wasn't the original topic.
>Someone said they could "learn" FrameMaker in 2-3 weeks.
>I said (with NY sarcasm and disbelief), I think not.

>I will always put the ability to learn (and damn fast) at the
>top of the list.

Well, there's learn and then there's LEARN. If I bring somebody into a
desktop publishing shop that already has templates, style guides, etc.,
defined and supported, and the new person only has to work within the given
environment, I generally have them functional with the basic knowledge they
need in a couple of days.

Especially since, if they get hung, there are usually several other people
who've got a little more knowledge and at least one guru onsite.

If I were hiring somebody to be the resident FrameMaker or Ventura or
whatever guru, and they didn't know the program inside and out, I would
expect a significant learning curve.

I learned everything I needed to know about FrameMaker in a couple days.
That's why I recommended that in our present environment (lots of
contributors to the docs, relatively few professional writers) we use
something else. :-)