Re: Electronic Libraries

Subject: Re: Electronic Libraries
From: DeeYG -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 11:25:46 -0400

>And you go on to spell out the details of the solution. I was wondering how
>you
>like Worldview? I've never seen it myself, and yours is the first
>implementation that I've actually heard of. Also, how are your customers
>taking
>to it?

WorldView itself was rather interesting to wander around in. I thought it
was a fairly decent setup just from my limited interaction with it. The
customers were the computer operators of the systems and since I left
BellSouth last year don't really know how they took to it but I do know that
it hasn't been scrapped yet! <G>

>Was it a lot of work to set up? It sounds from your posting like it is not
>especially maleable once it has been put together. Did I misunderstand?

Yes, it was, especially since it was a new product to them and of course
everyone from the sys. admin. on down was learning the quirks of it. Also
had no I-leaf experts to advise them on that end of it so we all learned as
we went along! Can be painful. Like anything else that involves several
types of software, there are interactions that you have to be careful of. We
had a few problems with the RDM software, probably more from a lack of
knowledge on everyone's part than anything else. The 5 of us t/w that were
doing the doc's hadn't used it before and only 1 had been involved in on-line
doc's before that.

It was interesting to work on. I think some of our problems were just from
lack of expertise available in the company. They had never even had I-leaf
before that. Their sys admins were doing the SOP's on the VAX in it's
editor, the name of which escapes me at the moment, few PC's were around.