Re: What's on topic

Subject: Re: What's on topic
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:47:09 EDT

Paul Race wrote:

>Better we discuss serious issues that affect most or all techwriters than
>waste time on the history of the @ sign.

Forgot to address this in my last post.

Health-care is a serious issue that affects most or all techwriters. So is
the environment. If people want to discuss them, there are separate lists for
those issues.

Unfortunately, the @-sign discussion has nowhere else to go. So we get it by
default. In an odd, sad sort of way, I can't think of anything that defines
the _flavour_ of this profession more than the @ sign discussion. Not only
do I have difficulty thinking of another list where the discussion would be
more appropriate, I have difficulty imagining another list where the discussion
would even take place. Outside of techwriting, very few people care about the
history of the @ sign. Even inside of techwriting, there may be few people,
but still more inside than out.

Am I making any sense?

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.