Translating the Ideas, Not the Words

Subject: Translating the Ideas, Not the Words
From: Final Copy Group <75211 -dot- 77 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 17:18:40 EDT

My client is a large, well-known company with outlets all over the USA. Many of
the employees in these outlets speak Spanish as their primary language.
Unfortunately, the client's procedure manual is in English.

Past attempts to translate the procedure manual have failed, because the users
find the translation difficult to understand. Most report that they would rather
struggle through the English (with lots of help from their bilingual
supervisors!), than deal with the translation. Essentially, what we hear is that
the translation service (yes, the one with the well-known name!) translates the
words ok, but not the ideas.

How do others out there deal with this problem? How can we assure that a
translator translates the concepts rather than the words? Can anyone recommend a
source for technical communicators who can communicate concepts in both English
and Spanish?

Your ideas, comments, and suggestions are appreciated.

Mark Margolin
The Final Copy Group, Inc.
75211 -dot- 77 -at- compuserve -dot- com