Re. Another Slaton spam

Subject: Re. Another Slaton spam
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:08:17 LCL

Jeff Slaton has spammed us again, but I've got an idea that might just
fix his wagon. Seems to me some of you folks are using online messages
that carry a "per-message-received" charge. Thus, every time he spams
us, you get billed. This goes way beyond the bounds of breaching
netiquette... and don't mailbomb him (by e-mail or otherwise), because
then you're just hurting innocents who unfortunately share the same
address as he does. There's a much better joke. The punchline goes
like this...

I read some time ago about a family that successfully sued a mass
marketer who refused to drop them from its distribution list. (This
was under Canadian law.) The idea was that because discarding the junk
mail was a burden, and took away time that could be better spent on
other activities, they could bill the marketer for their time. I'm
fuzzy on the details, but this is close enough to make the point. A
good lawyer should be able to figure out how to make this stick in
court... probably something like suing to recover financial damages.
Slaton's address lists him as New Mexico, so you'd have to find out
what the local law says about this. Any New Mexico lawyers out there?
If so, I suspect you'd get 1500+ names on a petition for a
class-action lawsuit pretty quick right about now (I'll join in
gladly). I'd vote for trying to recover damages, but even a
cease-and-desist order would be nice. It would make a mighty fine
legal precedent too!

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.