Re: Against "we"

Subject: Re: Against "we"
From: Jim Curran <jcurran -at- USR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 14:05:20 CST

Still, I'd rather see "Try another method of communication."

Jim Curran
US Robotics

-------------------
The following message was posted to the list yesterday by an
unthinking, unfeeling machine:

> The user hilary no longer has an active account on bcn.
> The mail you sent will be received by hilary in the event that
> the account is re-activated. Another means of communication is advised.
> Important requests for more information on the hilary account can be sent
> to postmaster -at- bcn -dot-

Did anyone else notice that this message contains a way out of the
"We recommend/It is recommended that" ditch -- a way that, I think,
none of us thought of? I'm not suggesting that "Another means of
communication is advised" is deathless prose. I just find it
interesting that the machine found a possibility that all of us
humanoid types overlooked.

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com