Re: LIST about Internet Service Providers SUMMARY

Subject: Re: LIST about Internet Service Providers SUMMARY
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:57:00 PDT

Dick:
I emailed you privately, offering to send you information from the web site
I listed below if you didn't have access. In the meantime, I looked up the
URL, so I'm providing it to the list.

A list of service providers can be found at:
http://www2.celestin.com/pocia

This is called "Providers of Commercial Internet Access".

This is a nifty web site, because not only does it provide world-wide
providers organized by access code, it is the most comprehensive list
available. In addition, it provides links to many other web sites with
provider info.

>There is a news group that I assume would offer **opinions** {8Q :

> alt.online-service

IMNSHO: *lots* of opinions, not comprehensive, confusing, full of
misinformation, and not much real information.... YMMV

Also The newsgroup deal with online services such as AOL, Compuserve, etc.,
and not about access to the net as a whole.

The best way to get information about online services, in my opinion, is to
ask people that use them. Online services *tend* to cost more than direct
providers, but they provide more than just Internet access. Some of the
online services do not provide access to all the Internet offers, but many
of them are "catching up".

Look up the PC Word for June 1995 for a review of AOL, CompuServe, Prodigy,
Delphi, and Genie. This issue also contains information about how to go
online, web browsers, and web publishing.

Rose A. Wilcox, coming into the thread late
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com