Technical Editor needed in Houston, TX

Subject: Technical Editor needed in Houston, TX
From: Debbie Campbell <dcamp -at- CS -dot- RICE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 15:10:11 -0600

Hello All,

I just got this job announcement (again) from the computer science
department here at Rice University in Houston, Texas. (You may learn about
the department
through its WWW pages: http://www.cs.rice.edu/.)

The Web page aspect of the position is very important and they hope to get
a writer/editor who finds that aspect of the job exciting. They don't
require that the person have Web editing/publishing experience - just a
strong interest and willingness to learn.

They originally posted this back in May, but they still do not have anyone
for it. When you are ready to submit your resume or if you have questions
about this position, please contact Debra Purtee at (713) 285-5200
(preferred) or debra -at- cs -dot- rice -dot- edu -dot-

Copy Freely,
Debbie Campbell (dcamp -at- cs -dot- rice -dot- edu)

P.S. I hold a similar position in another department here on campus and
would be happy to field minor questions. Please note, however, that I am
not a decision-maker for this position.

>Subject: Editor/External Relations Coordinator in Computer Science

>Debbie-

>We have made it a ninth month job, working the academic year
>only (8/16 - 5/15). There is the vague possibility that we'll get grant
>funding for the summers. The probable
>starting salary is about $30,000 (annualized) which is about $22-$23k for
>the nine month period.

>Personnel gave it the title of Editor, however our working title has been
>External Relations Coordinator because several of the duties do not involve
>writing.

>So, given the parameters above and the job description below, please let
>folks know about our position.

>Thanks!

>Debra

>Editor
>Department of Computer Science
>Position Description - 5/5/95

>Purpose:

>To coordinate public communications for the Department of Computer Science,
>including the development and preparation of a wide variety of materials
>for dissemination to the public and to facilitate the implementation of
>external relations projects.

>Duties and Responsibilities:

>* Gather, write, edit and archive general and technical materials for
>various print and on-line publications, including the Computer Science
>Graduate Studies brochure, departmental newsletter and other departmental
>publications as well as articles for publications produced outside the
>department.

>* Serve as the editor of department-produced publications, assuring timely
>completion and delivery. Manage budget for publications and get approval
>by immediate supervisor to ensure that budgets are within guidelines.
>Monitor progress of printing and distribution operations. Work closely
>with faculty and researchers contributing articles and with the campus
>publications and printing offices or other printers, photographers and art
>designers, and with support staff charged with assisting on various
>publications tasks.

>* Support all activities of the Computer Science Industrial Affiliates
>program and coordinate corporate relations in general, including initiating
>contacts, generating correspondence, coordinating meetings, maintaining
>appropriate records and handling follow-up needs.

>* Develop and maintain World Wide Web pages for the department. Serve as
>the departmental contact for the project.

>* Develop and maintain an alumni database and communications program with
>alumni.

>* Coordinate all activities related to the publication and receipt of
>technical reports, including upkeep of the technical report database,
>hard-copy files, and mailing lists and insuring the efficient distribution
>of technical report copies; and overseeing the departmental participation
>in the ARPA-sponsored national Computer Science Technical Report Project,
> [...]

http://www.cs.rice.edu/fortran-tools/

Rice University, Center for Research on Parallel Computation,
CITI/CRPC - MS 41, 6100 South Main Street, Houston, Texas,
77005-1892, phone: (713) 527-8750<tone>2744.