On-line help applications

Subject: On-line help applications
From: Paul Cassidy <pcassidy -at- LYNX -dot- DAC -dot- NEU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:41:12 -0400

Hey folks,

I have been asked to place a 750 page document on-line for a company. The
company will have 1000 people using the document on a regular basis. About
half of the on-line document will change 4 times a year. The client will
most likely do the on-line editing.

The on-line document needs:

to be searchable
to have hyperlinks
to have an easy-to-use interface
to be easily updateable
to use linked Word documents.

A few people have recommended Folio Views, but this seems to be a very
expensive investment on my part as well as the client's. As I understand
Views, every time the company makes major changes to the on-line
documentation (binds the infobase), they have to pay Folio a set fee (which,
in this case, works out to be $6000 4 times a year).

What other products have you used besides Views? Acrobat? Lotus SmarText?
DynaText? GuideAuthor? HyperWriter? What has your experience been? (The
client does not want to use WinHelp.) What are the pros and cons?
Paul Cassidy
pcassidy -at- lynx -dot- dac -dot- neu -dot- edu