citing a source?

Subject: citing a source?
From: Kathy Farrell <kfarrell -at- MSTR -dot- HGC -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 10:59:45 -0400

Hello --
I'm putting together a training manual for a non-credit technical writing
course, and would like to use a couple of humorous pieces that I've
had for years. Many of you are probably familiar with them -- the
"Buzzphrase Generator" (three columns of buzzwords, pick one from each
column to assemble impressive but gaseous phrases...), and 10 proverbs
rewritten into pseudo-scientific jargon.

Since this manual is a more formal document than my usual in-class
handouts, I want to be sure I cite all sources, and don't imply that
I wrote something I didn't. Problem is, I don't know the original
source for either piece. I originally got one as an anonymous handout
from a professor, the other as one of those pass-around-the-office things.
I've also seen them several times each in various newsletters, humor
columns, etc.

Does anyone know the source or author of either of these pieces? Or is
there a correct way to cite an anonymous source? (Maybe "Author Unknown"?)

Any tips or suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Please feel free
to mail them to me directly. Thanks!
Kathy Farrell | Life has only one magic rule:
The Hartford Graduate Center |
275 Windsor Street | THERE ARE NO MAGIC RULES
Hartford, CT 06120 |
kfarrell -at- hgc -dot- edu |