free download opportunity

Subject: free download opportunity
From: JERRYAUTHOR -at- DELPHI -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 18:21:40 -0400

A WORLDWIDE INQUIRY -- PLEASE PASS ALONG TO COLLEAGUES & FRIENDS

AT NO CHARGE, WRITERS &
STUDENTS & TEACHERS OF CREATIVE WRITING, ENGLISH & JOURNALISM
ARE WELCOME TO DOWNLOAD SUBSTANTIAL PORTIONS OF
AN IN-PROGRESS THESAURUS/DICTIONARY OF SMELL

Smell is our most powerfully evocative sense, yet few writers
use it effectively. Why? Because smell is also our most primitive
sense, poorly linked to our brains' language centers, so we have
never developed a rich vocabulary of smell-words. When forced to
write about smells, most of us resort to simile, but the masters
use metaphor, treating smells as if they had substance, color,
temperature, sound, texture, life -- even personality.
In 1994, hoping to enrich my writing with the powers of smell,
I looked for a comprehensive source of inspiration, found none, and
began working on A WRITER'S TREASURY OF SMELL. All who have seen
this work think it a valuable tool for writers at all levels. It
is a unique compilation of definitions, synonyms and
poetic/metaphoric illustrations. This book is about sixty percent
completed. The final length should be some 150,000 words.
I should like to make it possible for writers and
teachers/students of creative writing, English and journalism to
download a substantial part of my manuscript to their computers,
and see how well the material works for them. My problem is, I
cannot afford to pay a database provider to store my material, and
I have no idea how or where to find a free database. Possibly one
or more universities with worldwide network access could provide
storage. Please let me know if you can help, or if you know
someone who might be able to help.

My InterNet address is jerryauthor -at- delphi -dot- com

My mailing address and telephone number are:

Gerard J. Gormley
7 Washington Street
Manchester-by-the-Sea MA 01944
TEL: 508-526-7351

A Member of PEN
Three books and two articles published.
Work included in three anthologies.
Recipient of three fellowships.
Credits included in download.

PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THIS MESSAGE SO THAT I KNOW I AM REACHING YOU.