Re: FrameReader--a ghost?

Subject: Re: FrameReader--a ghost?
From: "Race, Paul D" <racepa -at- WHQPOS4B -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:05:56 -0600

>FrameReader can be freely distributed as long as it is used for
>non-commercial purposes. Non-commercial is defined as:
>- not for resale
>- not for commercial or personal gain
>- not repackaged
>- not bundled and distributed with any software or document collection

>Betsy Maaks

Er, Betsy, lets say I have a bunch of docs in FrameMaker, and I want to put
them on a CD-ROM so customers can read them as hypertext docs. I'm not
selling the FrameReader per se, I'm selling an information product that was
developed in FrameMaker.

If I want to put the FrameReader on the release CD so my customers have
hypertext access to the FrameMaker files, can I do it for no charge or for a
nominal fee (like I can with many other hypertext and multimedia playback
mechanisms)?

When I investigated doing this a couple years ago, I discovered that the
FrameViewer program would cost us over $50/CD to use - which made using
Frame to develop hypertext docs prohibitively expensive. That was one more
reason our team of about 50 techwriters decided to go with another package.

What's the story?