Re: knowing technology

Subject: Re: knowing technology
From: Rod Franklin <franklir -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:15:54 MDT

I can say that there are a few cases where a technical background for
advanced technologies is not necessary. But you have to be lucky.

I had no formal science background when I started work two years ago
as an editor at a Department of Energy laboratory for cutting edge
renewable energy sciences. I had been a newspaper reporter in a number
of states previously and had covered in depth most beats that smaller
newspapers develop.

I am naturally curious, and I think my boss recognized this. At any
rate, I now write technical abstracts and tech brochures for an
international database program on renewable energy demonstration
projects. I didn't even ask for the assignment; it was given to me.

Rod Franklin

rfrankl -at- nrel -dot- gov