Re. A little understanding

Subject: Re. A little understanding
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:16:42 LCL

Paul Cheverie hit the nail on the head: you _don't_ need a technical
background to act as a technical writer, but you _do_ need to
understand what you're writing about. If the techie background helps,
and it usually does, so much the better: you'll understand the authors
faster and will usually be more productive. You'll also catch errors
through substantive editing that someone without that background would
miss, but in theory, such errors shouldn't make it past the peer
(expert) review stage anyway. In practice, I catch lots of substantive
errors and imprecision because of my background even after peer review
should have eliminated these problems.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.