Re: Feedback on The GUI Style Guide, please

Subject: Re: Feedback on The GUI Style Guide, please
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- IO -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:28:50 -0500

In article <199508290917 -dot- FAA01468 -at- io -dot- org>, Stuart Burnfield wrote:
>Susan Fowler said:
>> If you can put your hands on a copy, The GUI Style Guide has a section on
>> defining hazard messages and icons...

>We are about to do the second major release of our GUI. The first cut did
>it, now we want to Do It Right -- icons, menu structure, widgets, colours,
>sound, fonts, animation, screen layout. . .

>Is this the right book to read? What else should I look at? Note that I
>don't need to master the entire field of interface design (well, I
>probably do, but I don't have time) -- I just want to understand the
>basic principles.

I don't know what the GUI Style Guide is, offhand, but I have another
book that is useful. It's "Guidelines for Enterprise-Wide GUI Design"
by Susan Weinschenk, Ph.D and Sarah C. Yeo. Publisher is John Wiley & Sons
Inc., ISBN is 0-471-11845-1, price is $29.95 US. It covers the fundamentals
and is well illustrated with examples from Windows, OS/2, and Motif.
It doesn't go into a lot of theory but it does have a good bibiography.
It's a good book to show programmers (it has lots of pictures <g>).

Best,
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- io -dot- org -- http://www.io.org/~ksoltys/
Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Telerate Canada Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you dont' bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinliein