Automatic Indexing

Subject: Automatic Indexing
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:16:00 -0500

I'm passing this message along on behalf of a friend who has limited e-mail
access. (I've been forwarding the good stuff to her for some time).

Misti

From: Tara Edwards Barber
Documentation Manager
CText, Inc.

Hi, folks. I've been asked by my engineering manager to try and find an
automatic indexing package for documents. What's desired is not the type of
indexing that most of us do in word processing packages; i.e. inserting
index codes/ What he would like to find is a package that can be given a
list of key words to search on, and automatically compile an index based on
that word search. He also thinks it would be nice if the search could
include logic statements, such as "search for this word, but not this one,"
i.e. search for "data", but not "database."

Personally, I've never heard of such a package. But if you have, please let
me know. If you've actually used such a thing, your opinions on it would be
very welcome; it sounds to me like an index compiled by such a product would
require quite a bit of tweaking. But that may just be my personal
prejudices speaking.

You can e-mail me care of sherron -at- ctext -dot- com -dot- Thanks for the help.