Peer Reviews

Subject: Peer Reviews
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 17:36:26 PDT

Kris Trierweiler, of ChippieWaffles asked about Peer Reviews.

OOFda, I know exactly how she feels, being faced with this
Performance Model Of The Month.

Kris, we were supposed to go onto this Peer Review system many
moons ago, but nothing has ever developed. And none of US are
asking to revive the program, fer sure!

The questions you ask were bouncing around these hollowed halls
and never got properly resolved. Yes, there was considerable
worry and fear among the ranks. We were to ALL BE TRAINED on
this new method. The training was never forthcoming. Lucky for
me, and unlucky for you because I give you no info.

It takes a well-staffed Human Resources dept to handle first
the planning, and then the training. Our HR staff has been
halved and halved and halved again. Knowing CRI, I suspect the
same has occurred there. Peer Reviews may never come to pass.

HOWEVER, COMMA, I brought this up to the list a few months ago,
fearing the same stuff you are, and I have a few responding
posts that I will pass on to you directly. Once I dig them
out of my techwrl archive floppy. There were favorable and
unfavorable responses.

Given the type of List we are, several respondents interpreted my
PEER REVIEWS topic strictly on the basis of writers reviewing
co-writer's work. Even this viewpoint gives good insight
into what happens when there is a wide range of job types. Let
alone the scenario of internal customers (Field Engineers,
Design Engineers, Programmers, etc.) reviewing a writer's
**performance**. I repeat:

Oooofta.

I hope the List can contribute their experiences.

It is high time we had my old Alma Corpa represented on this
list! I **invented** your job title. I was #41, and lasted from
the first Shipping Party through to 1990 when I answered the
siren song of the SUN DRENCHED City of Angels. Ask some of
the old timers about Writer Dimock. They will have tales.

Keep on Shipping!

Dick Dimock Artfully Senior Tech Writer pledged to

AT&T Global Information Solutions, which anxiously awaits a RIF in

El Segundo, CA Where the Chevron Refinery outside my
window has removed the plastic baggie
covering a giant tank. I sure hope them
termites inside are dead. A new spherical
gas tank is going up, a brown pumpkin
thing bedecked with scaffolding and
glittering with the bright jewels of
welding arcs. I know it has been a long
time since your last El Segundo fix, but
I have these ah... manuals .. to ah...
DO something with. By tomorrow. Hm. I s'pose
this be the Group to discuss what to DO with
manuals. Heh.

<Richard -dot- Dimock -at- ElSegundoCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>