Re. Word(im)Perfect and tags

Subject: Re. Word(im)Perfect and tags
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:54:52 LCL

Pam Owen wrote to express problems with
WordPerfect for Windows, and noted that she's
never had a problem unformatting MS Word text when
she had a problem. Well, I'd have to add that I
work with WP primarily on a Mac, and I've been
unable to crash the software since late in the
last beta release; WP for Windows has a reputation
as being much buggier, but I'd blame that on the
platform. Not meaning to get back to that old OS
war, just making an observation. Deleting tags is
definitely a problem, as Pam noted, but I'd call
that user carelessness, not a program flaw.
Moreover, reinserting the tags is generally
trivial: use the undo function, copy the tag from
elsewhere, or apply the necessary tag directly in
the editing window.

MSW, on the other hand, has caused me numerous
problems dropping files into PageMaker; RTF is too
rich for its own good. If you're keeping your text
in Word, the software seems to work just fine for
some people. (There are many detractors, just as
there are many for WP.)

Editing tags directly isn't for everyone, and it
really annoys some folks. But for me, I stand by
my original statement: editing the tags directly
is sometimes the only way to solve a problem.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.