What is a Topic?

Subject: What is a Topic?
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 13:14:02 -0700

About a month ago there was a thread regarding the amount of time
required to create an online help file. A participant in this thread
(sorry I don't remember who) said that he/she had read that 4 hours per
topic is the industry average.

That seemed pretty reasonable to me. Then I saw an estimate that
counted popups as topics (and estimated approx. 2 hours per topic) and
I began to wonder --

What counts as a topic?!!

Any thoughts?

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

Do unknown, unexamined assumptions ever pop up and hit *you* over the
head? They certainly do that to *me*.