Re: *Data* question

Subject: Re: *Data* question
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:36:44 -0700

Deborah Wood asks...

> Our tech writing team has been pondering this for a while. Thought we
would
> toss it out to the collective wisdom of the TechWhirlers....

> Which phrase do y*all prefer? Are any grammatically incorrect?

> 1) This data helps the analyst.
> 2) These data help the analyst.
> 3) The data helps the analyst.
> 4) The data help the analyst.

The last time this subject surfaced (has it been six
months already???), someone quoted a source (can't
remember, getting old y'know) that said anyone who
still used the plural verb with "data" was being
presumptuous/pedantic (oh, the memory is the second
thing to go... can't remember what the first was...)

Have to say, I agree with those who take the "common
usage" stance. Data, although it is the plural of
datum, is considered collective in modern/common
usage. (When was the last time you actually heard
someone use the word "datum"???) Using it as a
plural is harsh-sounding and disconcerting and can
get in the way of clear communication.

Odd tho it may seem, I'll stay on an even keel and
choose the odd numbered examples because the even
even seem odd to me! ;-)

The moderately punchy but ever so consistent...
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com