User documentation of online services

Subject: User documentation of online services
From: Stewart Walker <stewart -dot- walker -at- CPE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:28:56 +1000

Hi techwhirlers

Greetings from Downunder. I am working as the tech. writer in an R&D group
that is developing an online service that will provide a range of training
and education services.

I'm interested in researching the user documentation of online services,
especially what mix of media has been found to be most effective. I'd like
to hear from you if:

1. You are researching this subject already and are willing to exchange
information.

2. You know of anyone researching this subject (or anyone who'd be likely to
know of others researching this field).

3. You use online services and have opinions about what works and what
doesn't in the user documentation of the services you use.

4. You work as a tech. writer for an online service and have any experiences
or advice you're allowed/willing to share. Delivery options for our service
are yet to be decided. Possibilities include the Net, existing commercial
online services such as Compuserve and AOL, MSN and a myriad of other
options. We're more likely to be a potential client or partner than a
competitor :-).

5. You have any suggestions about abstract journals that might be worth
searching or other possible sources of information.

Please respond by private mail or to the list. If others are interested, I
will post a summary of any private responses I get.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Stewart Walker
"To write simply is as difficult as to be good."
- W Somerset Maugham

Stewart Walker
Technical Writer
Computer Power Education, ITS R&D Project
L4, 493 St Kilda Rd Melbourne 3004
Australia
Ph: In Australia - 03 9243 2317 International - 613 9243 2317
Fax: In Australia - 03 9820 2010 International - 613 9820 2010
E-mail: stewart -dot- walker -at- cpe -dot- com -dot- au