Re: Re. Writing textbooks

Subject: Re: Re. Writing textbooks
From: Fran Freiman <ffreiman -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 14:17:44 GMT

> Susan Fowler asked about good textbooks for a
> university-level writing course.

Here's a real gem (also cheap):

MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD: POWERFUL WRITING, IN CLASS--ON THE JOB, by C.
Edward Good (Blue Jeans Press, 1989, 150 pp). Order at 1-800-662-9673.
Under $10, I think. Comes in two versions: one for general audiences,
and one for lawyers!

This book teaches *quality*, *sane* writing skills, with underlying
grammatical reasoning. Not boring grammar--the kind of grammar I wish
I'd been taught in school. Real word-reduction skills (anti-wordiness).
I can't say enough about this book.

One more I rely on, but it's more content-oriented than how-to:

WRITING FOR STORY, by Jon ???, a 2-time Pulitzer Prize-winning
journalist (sorry I can't locate my copy this minute to provide
author's correct surname). Small paperback, probably around $5. This
guy is a genius. Less grammar oriented, but he reveals how to engage
the reader's interest by focusing on actions and how to arrange the
facts.

I wish all teachers were required to learn to write using either of
these author's techniques. Then maybe our kids in school would actually
learn to write. Teachers don't know how, so kids grow up not knowing
how, unless they have techwriter parents! But that's another story.

Good luck, Susan.

Fran Freiman
ffreiman -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com