Re: However -- ?

Subject: Re: However -- ?
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 08:20:26 MDT

Hmmm. We're up to three different terms for "however":

Conjunctive adverb
Adverbial connective
Adversative conjunction

I'm not so sure about the last one. My online American Heritage dictionary
uses "but" as an example of an adversative conjunction, but I don't sense that
"however" is used in the same way.

The same dictionary defines a conjunctive adverb as

A function word that connects two sentences and provides adverbial
emphasis, as _therefore_ in "This intersection is dangerous;
therefore, motorists should approach it slowly."

Any other labels out there?

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce