Re: Exercises for Students

Subject: Re: Exercises for Students
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 08:55:53 EDT

David Broudy said:

>I think an excellent exercise for students would be to re-write a portion
>of the owner's manuals for their cars.....
>Er, I'm making the false assumption that all students have cars,...

That last part -is- true, not all students have cars. But -enough- do
so that you could at least break the class up into small teams, maybe
even pairs.

I think the driver's manual exercise would be the right mix of:

* "real world" application to show usefulness
* complexity that will hold the interest of the students
* simplicity that causes "assumption of knowledge errors (which
is one of the learning points of the exercise)

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA
rjl -at- bostech -dot- com