Re[2]: Re. WYSIWYG vs. tags

Subject: Re[2]: Re. WYSIWYG vs. tags
From: "<Pam Owen>" <powen -at- MAIL2 -dot- LMI -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 12:41:47 EST

RoMay writes:

"At my last tech writing job, I took over an updating project started by
my predecessor. I was told "it doesn't seem to be printing right." Well,
to make a long story short, the manual had been through at least 4
previous updates. And still had all the codes from each in the file.
Each person who worked on it just added new ones on top of the old. Once
I cleaned up the tags and set it up correctly, it printed just fine."

What I'd like to know is how long it took to "clean up" the tags. When I
work in WordImperfect, which I avoid like the plague, I spend a good
portion of my time "cleaning up" tags. As an editor, I'd rather edit,
which is what I do with MS Word. In Word, formatting rarely gets screwed
up, because it has no tags to accidently enter or delete. If something
doesn't look right (either on screen or in print), I just block it and
pick the format I want. Page formatting is embedded in the section
breaks, which I can reformat or delete. I almost never have problems
adjusting formatting with WYSIWIG programs and save a lot of time by not
looking endlessly for bogus tags.

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, VA
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, and powen -at- lmi -dot- org