Re: How does it affect our work?

Subject: Re: How does it affect our work?
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 03:52:37 -0700

>I am interested in hearing opinions/observations on how e-mail has
>changed our lives. Here are some of my observations so far:
><snip>

>Any other issues surrounding e-mail?

As a contractor/consultant, I find e-mail to be a great project
management tool. I use it to:

* Request information and/or assistance.

* Inform others with a need to know that I have requested this
information. (By sending them a copy.)

* Inform others with a need to know that I haven't received requested
information. (By sending them a copy of any re-sends).

And I keep copies of those e-mail files, just as if they were regular
memos. This is my own personal audit trail for the project.

I do *not* replace face-to-face meetings with e-mail. I think that
rapport is necessary to a good working relationship. (Who do you work
with better? Someone you know and like, or someone you don't know and
don't care about.)

But I *do* use the e-mail to (1) take the place of short phone calls
and (2) cofirm the content of some discussions. Example of #2: "I look
forward to receiving the prototype on Tuesday, as promised."

In an effort to maintain the rapport gained in face-to-face contact, I
occasionally send humorous pieces, quotes or bits of information
relevant to my contact person.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com