STC's Journal and Our Georg

Subject: STC's Journal and Our Georg
From: Liz Babcock <Liz_Babcock -at- JDAM -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:40:32 -0800

Mail*Link(r) SMTP STC's Journal and Our George

Since George Hayhoe is a frequent contributor to, and well-respected member
of, this list, I know you will be as thrilled as I am to learn that last week
the Board of Directors of the Society for Technical Communication voted to
appoint George the new editor of our journal, _Technical_Communication_. The
board accepted the recommendation of an experienced search committee headed by
Dr. Carol Barnum, Assistant to the President for Publications. Carol reported
that a number of high-caliber applications were considered. The board was
extremely happy with the committee's recommendation, and we agreed that it
would be difficult to imagine a more suitable editor than George. He has wide
experience in the field, an impeccable work ethic, and highly developed
communication skills to recommend him, as well as fresh ideas and a great
background in many aspects of managing the Society.

I'm sure many of you will want to send your "Atta George"s along to our friend
and fellow Whirler. I suggest, though, that you send your congratulations off
the list in order to minimize the list traffic. George's e-mail address is as
follows:

GFHayhoe -at- aol -dot- com

Finally, I'd like to offer a few words of explanation to those of you
wondering why Roger Grice will not be continuing in the job. When I asked
Roger last year (in my then-capacity as president of STC) to become interim
editor of the journal, I made it clear that, in the interest of fair
competition among all candidates, the interim editor would not be considered
for the permanent editor's job. I knew Roger would do a fine job (and I was
right), but I thought that maybe Roger would like a year or so in the job,
then would want to move along to other tasks. I was lucky that he agreed with
me, since health problems Frank Smith (the previous editor) was experiencing
made it necessary to fill the job immediately with a high-quality person who
would accept the stipulation.

Those of you who know Roger may be interested in sending along some "Atta
Roger"s too. There will be a transition period between the two editors, with
George taking over perhaps as early as January, so any time you want to send
Roger your appreciation, I know he'd be happy to get your message. His e-mail
address is as follows:

73444 -dot- 3235 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Liz Babcock
liz_babcock -at- jdam -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil