Re: TELECOMMUTING

Subject: Re: TELECOMMUTING
From: powen -at- MAIL -dot- LMI -dot- ORG
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 14:14:27 EST

I agree with all the pluses Bob Morse listed for telecommuting. However, he
says:

> Increased productivity from reduced absenteeism (no "snow days" for
. home-office workers, plus a few extra hours from marginally sick RE
> workers and parents of sick children who otherwise must take full sick
> days).

While this may be great for the employer/client, I sometimes yearn for the good
ole "snow days" or whatever "ligitimate" excuses I find not to work. Although,
as a consultant, I don't get paid when I don't work, I find it hard to say no to
my neighbors who aren't telecommuting (and thus staying home during a snow
storm), and who want me to join them in a snowball battle or in nestling up in
front of roaring fire, popcorn in hand, to watch a video. Short of the
electricity going out, or my computer going down (which, thank the god of
computing, I can still count on), I've been stuck having to say, "No, I'm
working," on countless occasions when I'd rather be goofing off. Of course, as I
remember it, I was one of those "my dog ate my homework" people in school. ;~}
Speaking for nonworkaholics everywhere, telecommuting can mean you've never
really left the office. :`-{

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, VA
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, or powen -at- lmi -dot- org