Re: Abbreviations

Subject: Re: Abbreviations
From: Kris Olberg <KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:30:56 -0400

In a message dated 95-09-19 21:07:55 EDT, thaley -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM (Tiffany Haley)
writes:

>Fax or FAX, that what it has come down to.

"FAX" looks like an acronym or mnemonic, so I prefer "Fax."

>UOM or UM or something else for Unit of Measure.

I prefer "UOM" because it's more commonly found that way than as "UM."

>Sup., Supp., or Suppl., - For Supplementary

This is a new one to me. I'd prefer a whole other abbreviation such as
"Add'l" because "Sup" can lead to tons 'o other terms.

>Do your developers use a period at the end of abbreviations on their field
>names?
>e.g., Amt. or Amt - For Amount
> Suppl. - Supplemental
> Contr. - Contract

I've seen this both ways, but generally they use a period.

Regards...Kris