How to interview editors?

Subject: How to interview editors?
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 16:05:50 -0400

I know there was a recent thread discussing how to
interview a technical writer, and I saved the results
from that. But what about editors? What sort of
questions do you ask them?

Obviously, you want to know if they are meticulous,
and of course they will say they are. But what else
can you talk about?

I'm already planning to administer a test -- I'm going
to give the interviewee some of the text that comes
out of our writers and ask them to edit according to
written rules. I think this is a nice, well-defined
test, so I'm not worried about getting sued over it.

I'm more concerned about being able to ask the proper
revealing questions during the oral part of the interview.
For example, how do you determine whether the editor
is easy to work with, etc?

Ideas?

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200