Re: Portfolio Questions

Subject: Re: Portfolio Questions
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:46:14 PDT

People rarely read writing samples, so make sure that any samples
you hand out include the most attractive-looking stuff you've ever
been involved with, regardless of what it says, or whether all you
did was copy-edit the last two pages.

Include some good writing, too, of course, but put the pretty stuff
in front.

My favorite mix would be a suite of samples stacked in this order:

* Something with a really gorgeous cover
* Something with my name on the cover (or first page, if it doesn't
have a cover), chosen for its impressive looks. (A bland article
for IEEE SPECTRUM would be better than a brilliant piece done
for a small company no one has ever heard of)
* Something relevant to the contract/job being interviewed for
* Something that is obviously frighteningly technical
* Something short with your best writing in it, if it isn't in
any of the preceding four samples.

In general, expect hiring managers to trust credentials,
track record, and presentation quality over their own judgement.
Thus, it's better to have a bad piece with a big company's
name on it than a good one that the manager can read and be impressed
by.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841