e-mail / social skills thank you

Subject: e-mail / social skills thank you
From: Richard G Harris <rgh -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 11:17:18 +0059

My post yesterday generated quite a stir -- exactly as I hoped.

There have been wome well-thought-out responses. As you may have guessed,
cocktail-party one-to-one communication isn't my thing either.

Regarding e-mail though, and I'm not talking about lists (they're
wonderful), I have a couple of pet peeves though.

1. Many people simply don't respond; this is infuriating and applies to
voice mail as well. I would guess the right combination of face-to-face,
phone calls, and e-mail probably yields the best result. Anyone have a
winning combination?

2. E-mail is usually easy to send. One result is that very often people
respond immediately, and don't think about what they're saying (typing).
Sometimes the response doesn't seem to have anything to do with the
original question. Other than perhaps keeping each question short and
to the point, any suggestions?

Dick Harris
rgh -at- world -dot- std -dot- com