Printed vs. Online: What mix?

Subject: Printed vs. Online: What mix?
From: "Starr, Mike" <Mike -dot- Starr -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:43:23 -0600

I'd like to get a feel for how other companies out there blend printed
and online software documentation. My own personal inclination is to
develop a complete and thorough manual, then convert that same
information into a complete and thorough help file. Some people feel that
there should be a minimalist manual and a complete and thorough help file
(the Microsoft approach); others feel that there should be a complete and
thorough manual and a minimalist help file. I think that whatever
approach is taken it should be the same approach for all of a company's
products, thus the decision should probably be a prerogative of upper
management. How do you vote?

1. Comprehensive printed/comprehensive online

2. Minimal printed/comprehensive online

3. Comprehensive printed/minimal online

Mike

Mike Starr
Writer
Rockwell Software Inc.
mike -dot- starr -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com