revision marking for translation

Subject: revision marking for translation
From: Nancy Rains <Rains_Nancy/corp2_doc -at- QAD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 09:03:14 -0700

Item Subject: Message text

The company I work for is switching authoring
tools while they are increasing the amount of material
they have translated. We plan to have manuals written
for one release of software revised for the
next release. We don't have materials translated
that aren't yet completed in English, but we may in
the future. We often will often use the same translators
over the period of a few years.

One tool only shows change bars when changes are made
to a file; the other can show what text is new
and what text has been deleted in a file.

Could you give me an idea for how common it is for a client to
provide only change bars for revisions? Also, does it save
translators a great amount of time to have revisions and
deletions explicitly marked in a file they are revising?

Nancy Rains
ner -at- qad -dot- com