Re. Interviewing editos

Subject: Re. Interviewing editos
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:25:45 LCL

Here's another thought (semi-tongue in cheek)
about how to screen your editorial candidates. How
about advertising the ad in the sort of writing
that the "engineer from hell" would produce?
<grin> Very few readers would be able to figure
out what the ad was about, but the few who could
are likely to be able to understand the text well
enough to be worth a look.

You'd want the main title (e.g., "Looking for
editors") to be reasonably clear so that someone
skimming the classifieds won't miss the job, but
then, make the rest of it relatively impenetrable:
somewhere in the mass of text, put in a phrase
that, once translated, asks the respondent to
preface the cover letter with some specific words
or phrase to prove the person understood the text;
those who simply replied to any ad that said
"editor" would miss this in their cover letter,
and their resumes could be set aside (in case
nobody figures out your "riddle"). Feasible?
Hmmm...

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one
of our reports, it don't represent FERIC's
opinion.