Re. Usability of documents through field visits

Subject: Re. Usability of documents through field visits
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 12:55:23 LCL

Mark Levinson asked for examples of people who
actually visit their customers to obtain feedback
on their reports/user manuals/etc.

We do this... sort of. FERIC is funded by the
forest industry, and to make sure we are focusing
our research on their specific needs, we have
spring and fall advisory/program update meetings
with any of our clients who wants to attend. In
spring, we hold regional meetings (centrally
located in each region); in fall, they come to us.
There are folks specifically appointed to
participate, but anyone can attend. (We also
regularly visit each company during the course of
research to find out how our relationship is
working.)

The purpose of the meetings is really to report
our research and then ask for feedback on new
directions, but as publications coordinator, I
also attend to get a feel for the audience. This
poses an opportunity to chat informally with
people to get feedback on our publications.
Doesn't work as well as formal interviews, but we
do get occasional feedback this way. FWIW!

Also, we're beginning a few computer modeling
packages (decision-making tools), and I'm
proposing to work closely with beta testers on the
documentation and online help. There's support for
this idea in principle, but we'll see what
actually happens many months down the road.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one
of our reports, it don't represent FERIC's
opinion.