Re: Preferred Font for Online Documents

Subject: Re: Preferred Font for Online Documents
From: Bas Andeweg <bas -dot- andeweg -at- WTM -dot- TUDELFT -dot- NL>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:18:04 +0100

>I would appreciate any recommendations for fonts that are easy on the eye
>when viewed online. At this point, I no longer have any preconceived
>notions about sans-serif fonts being preferable to serif!

Hello John,

We use Times New Roman (11 pt) for our help system. We tested it on
our users and it works oke.
Older documentation of microsoft recommends the MS Sans Serif font,
because in the times before the availabilty of TrueType fonts you
could not be sure what the helpviewer on the users system would use
as replacement font if you specified a non-available font, i.e.
Helvetica. Now the arial, times new roman are practically always
available and more usefull. When you use the older ms sans serif font
for point sizes over 12 point (headings) you get a realy ugly
font representation. The scalability of true type fonts is much
better.
The better the screen resolution of your users
the less important gets the discussion serif/sans serif. I like
serif, but if my client wants sans serif s/he gets it.

Greetings,
Bas

| Bas -dot- Andeweg -at- wtm -dot- tudelft -dot- nl |
| Delft University of Technology | Phone ... 31 15 781559 |
| The Netherlands | Fax ... 31 15 787105 |