UPDATE ON TECH TRANSFER

Subject: UPDATE ON TECH TRANSFER
From: Paul Devito 234-8762 <DEVITOP -at- WIPP -dot- CARLSBAD -dot- NM -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 10:31:00 -0700

Technology Transfer Update

On behalf of the Carlsbad Area Office (CAO) of the US Department of
Energy (DOE) and the Waste Isolation Division of the Westinghouse
Electric Corporation, I would like to thank all of you that have
responded to our technology transfer notices on the Internet.
Since starting this experiment in February, we have received nearly
1500 requests for review copies of our documents and completed 45
technology transfers. Forty others are in the pipeline.

Many of you have asked if we have a list of all materials available
through our technology transfer program. With some trepidation
(this is a tiny office!), here is the list of the materials
currently available. Note that all of these have been previously
posted on the Internet:

o Managerial communications survey (MCS)
o Employee communications survey (ECS)
o HR Partnership Profile (HRPP) (Self-assessment tool for HR
organizations)
o Industrial safety self-paced training module for managers
and supervisors (MAS-123)
o Quality self-paced training module for managers and
supervisors (MAS-114)
o Human resource excellence self-paced training module for
non-exempt employees (PRO-102)(Career planning and
self-assessment)
o Accountability module for non-exempt employees (PRO-107)
(TQM tools)
o Successful professional communications classroom course for
non-exempt employees (PRO-106)
o Employee performance and appraisal development system
(EPADS) manual
o Transfer of training evaluation model (TOTEM) (model for
evaluating training effectiveness)
o Technical procedure writer's guide (WP 15-PS.2)

In addition, we announce the availability of a new document (not
previously posted on the Internet):

o Problem Solving and Decision Making (MAS-105). A self-paced
training module for managers and supervisors that covers:

o Problem solving
o Creative thinking and innovation
o Decision making
o Idea generation techniques
o Fostering an innovative work environment

To receive a free review copy of this 52-page document (or one or
more of the documents listed above) and the form necessary to
obtain non-exclusive rights to use the document at NO COST, please
send your name, address, and the title and designator (such as MAS-
123) of the document you are requesting by telephone, fax, or snail

mail to:

Bill Keeley
Westinghouse Electric Corporation
PO Box 2078
Carlsbad, NM 88221

Fax: (505) 887-1434
24-Hour telephone request line: (505) 234-7565

PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR REQUEST TO THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS!

We ask you to request only those documents that you are likely to
submit a formal request for technology transfer. One of the
performance measures we and the government use to evaluate the
effectiveness of our program is the percentage of US requests that
turn into actual technology transfers. We are currently at 6%.
Not bad, but we believe that we can do better.

In other news, per your suggestions, we are currently expanding our
home page to allow us to include samples of documents available for
technology transfer, forms, and other technology transfer
information. We'll post our home page address when the new page is
unveiled in late October.

Finally, we close with an Internet/technology transfer success
story. Last month, we received a technology transfer request from
Cavalier Development Company (CDC) of Nokesville, VA, a small
training and development firm. CDC wanted some of our management
and supervisor training and successful professional modules. The
DOE/CAO approved the transfer and we were ready to snail mail the
paper and computer copies to her when we noted that 1) the DOE/CAO
Manager was travelling to Washington, DC for a meeting with the his
boss, the Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management; and 2)
CDC is located close to DC. One thing lead to another and the two
DOE executives made the technology transfer to the CDC President
in-person at DOE headquarters on October 3. At the transfer, Pat
Guggenheimer, the CDC President, indicated that the transfer moves
CDC, which specializes in its change management and team building,
forward in its ability to service its customers by five years. To
talk to Pat about her technology transfer experience, contact her
at cavdev -at- aol -dot- com or (703) 791-6806.

Maybe we're idealistic, but we believe that through programs like
these our government can and is serving its stakeholders --
individual citizens, businesses, educational institutions, and non-
profit organizations. We are all proud to be a part of this
program.

Bill Keeley, Westinghouse