Re: How much educating do your 'clients

Subject: Re: How much educating do your 'clients
From: "Bledsoe,Bill" <bledsoebl -at- AGEDWARDS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 13:06:17 -0500

----------
From: KJOlberg
To: Multiple recipients of list TEC
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 1995 12:49PM

In a message dated 95-10-10 08:14:53 EDT, Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM
(Chet Ensign) writes:

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

<Are you making it worse by pointing out that the doc cycle should have
started long <ago to be effective? At this point, is
<your education considered "value added" or "value taken away"?

<My question to the list: How can we work together to educate higher
<management on the value we add to projects? Then, can we suggest ways they
<can implement that education?

Boy can I sympathize with this problem. We have a similar situation where
higher management doesn't see the value that tech comms can add in almost
ANY situation. Meanwhile, the people doing the work (analysts/programmers)
are BEGGING us for help with documentation. We do not have nearly enough
staff to help them. Our shop had NO technical writers until me 3 years ago.
The attitude we get is "we've gotten along fine without them for 20 +
years, tell me why we need them now?"

My question to the list is: Can any of you give me real $$$ examples of
how you have added value to a software product or by cutting errors in
procedures, policies, etc.?

Please respond to me personally, I will repost to the list.

Thanks!
Bill Bledsoe
A.G. Edwards & Sons, Inc.
Systems Administration Center
Technical Writer
bledsoebl -at- agedwards -dot- com
Bill's opinions are bill's, not Ben's or anyone else's at AGE

"Junk moved on line is still junk. You can bet that if they
didn't read the hard copy version, they won't read the
on-line version either!"
Dr. Conrad Gottfredson, On-line Document Guru-guy