Re: Pysdo-spam from Findlay

Subject: Re: Pysdo-spam from Findlay
From: "Starr, Mike" <Mike -dot- Starr -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:16:13 -0400

Scott:

How do you expect us to react to a question posted that asks if
good-looking babes or big-boned women make better technical writers? That
was the first one out of the batch that crossed my in-tray. I don't know
if you're the instructor who guided these kids in the direction of this
list, but if you did, you didn't ground them in the basics before you
turned them loose. I don't mind answering questions from beginners (hell,
we all hafta learn sometime), but I do mind wading through dreck to do
it. I frequently respond to serious questions posed by wannabees and
newbies and I'm glad to be able to help them. Some of the questions
posted were fine and deserved to be answered; others were clearly
off-list and deserved to be responded to as such. This list is for
technical writers and those seriously attempting to learn the profession.
We don't have the bandwidth to be babysitting. Make the kids hold hands
and look over your shoulder until they're mature enough to understand why
this list exists, and what is or isn't appropriate for inclusion on it.
I'm not a whiner, but I do have work to do and don't want to waste my
time with messages about whether anyone has done any research into
dolphins.

Mike Starr
Writer
Rockwell Software Inc.
mike -dot- starr -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com