Re: Findlay Students

Subject: Re: Findlay Students
From: Dave McGill <MCGILL -at- ASET -dot- SENECAC -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:39:37 EST5EDT

Michael Gos wrote:

> I have had my tech writing students subscribe to techwr-l for the last three
> years. I consider it a valuable part of their training. I do urge them to
lurk
> for some time and many never move past that stage, but today, many of them
are
> regular contributors to this list. I would hate to lose this educational
> opportunity due to an anti-student bias.

I agree with Michael that this is a valuable resource for students,
but the students have to use it carefully. It appeared that the
Findlay students hadn't been advised to lurk and learn something
before posting. Since a series of their messages appeared all at once
I suspect that a bunch of them went to the computer lab and decided

One of the things students have to learn about the working world is
that everyone isn't treated equally. Teachers, like me, spout the
usual cliches about there being no stupid questions etc. etc., and
this can be useful advice for the classroom. However, asking a
stupid question in class or privately is a far cry from doing so on
a public forum like a mailing list.

I am going to suggest my students log onto a couple of lists (no, not
this one) with a strong suggestion that they lurk for a long time,
perhaps post to someone privately, and realize that they are
representing their College when they post.

I can add that at my College we have just provided www access to the
students, and many are now spending hours a day on the sex chat
lines. We hope the novelty will wear off but at the moment they think
the net is a toy or a source of entertainment.

Dave McGill
mcgill -at- aset -dot- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca