Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"

Subject: Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"
From: Monica Petersen <MONICA -dot- PETERSEN -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:25:41 -0400

You might suggest to the author that good writing does not strain an
almost-right word where a clearer or more accurate term can easily perform.
The purpose of good technical writing is usually to educate, not to confuse
(though some manuals make us wonder). <grin>

There's no reason for technical documents to use words in ways that strain
or contradict the common understanding of informed readers. The language is
rich: there are at least six alternatives that do not have the restrictions
that the author so freely violates for "quadrant." Why not sector, zone,
region, section, part, or area?

I agree with Robert Plamondon: "quadrant" has a particular, limited usage
that is related to, but different from, the author's purpose. The author
may want to sound impressive, but using the wrong word can only impress the
less-literate. Other readers will either know he is wrong or suspect it.

Monica

PS - Interestingly, the term "quarter" has a broader general usage than
"quadrant," especially in terms of compass points and directions (more than
four, but some multiple or dividend of four).
----------
From: usinet(TECHWRL)
To: PETERMO; Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 1995 1:59PM

> I'm having a terminology dispute with an author about how
> to refer to one of six square regions on a nomogram (a form
> of data graphic, also called an alignment chart. The author
> uses the word "quadrant" to refer to the region, but I've
> pointed out that a quadrant, strictly speaking, refers only
> to one of four regions, not one of six. (That's based on
> mathematics and Webster!) He insists the term is valid for
> referring to any number of regions. Any brave referees out
> there who can comment on this usage?

It may be a common piece of jargon in some narrow field, but,
in general, people will laugh at him if he uses the term in
that way. I'd tell him that. "Quadrant" is used in the context
of perfect right angles (Cartesian coordinates, surveying, and even
the gunner's quadrant), so it causes a strong dissonance in any
mathematically literate person to use "quadrant" for anything not
involving precise right angles.

If "region" or "sector" don't pass muster, I'd suggest "sextant."
(I'm amused by the fact that both a quadrant and a sextant refer
to archaic precision instruments.)

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841