Re: Findlay Student Messages: thoughts

Subject: Re: Findlay Student Messages: thoughts
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 07:26:33 PDT

Geoff Bradbury writes,

>As a list member I felt ashamed that the list's responses drove Tom to reply
>the way he did. No, I don't think the established practise of sleeping on it
>before responding would have lessened his ire.

Personally, I found his arrogance and cluelessness annoying, and with
he'd stayed subscribed a little longer so we could slap him around a
little.

A mailing list is like a theme party. A few gate crashers can be absorbed
with grace at any one time, and some of them will turn out to be sterling
characters who should have been invited in the first place. But setting
an entire class on us is like having an entire fraternity crash a private
party. It overwhelms the host's and guests' ability to accommodate new
people, ruining the party. Such behavior goes beyond rudeness -- it's
aggression.

Afterwards, instead of a nice thank-you note to the host, we get
an arrogant statement that we should have APPRECIATED the way his
students drowned out our conversation with frat songs and
puked on the carpet.

Presumably, the instructor was raised by wolves. If he had been
raised in civilized company, he'd have refrained from inviting an
entire class to our party. If he'd had even half a clue, he'd have
warned us of the coming onslaught.

Good thing I'm busy this week. I'm be tempted to write the tenure
committee a letter of complaint.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841