Re. Drawn and quartered (was "quadrants")

Subject: Re. Drawn and quartered (was "quadrants")
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:18:00 LCL

Thanks to the many (many = more than a dozen and no longer
counting) folks who responded to my quadrant question. The
summary: No one defended the author's use of such oddities
as "in the sixth quadrant". Unfortunately, the story
doesn't end there: our "arbitrator" decreed that the author
gets to keep his quadrants in the French, and I get to keep
them as "regions" in the English, a qualified victory. I
didn't argue this any further because, in the final
analysis, no one is likely to be confused for long by the
odd word, and my French isn't strong enough to rank me as
an authority on correct usage. Other notes:

* nobody liked sextant: although correct, the engineers I
work with all got smirky looks and asked me just what kind
of tent that was and where they could get one <grin>
* sector doesn't work for the same reason as quadrant,
since it refers to a pie slice of a circle. Although usage
has broadened it to include the generic "area", largely
through Star Trek and its spawn, I'm not keen on this
usage.

Once again, thanks. You folks are a truly incredible
resource.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.